Mount Carmel College celebrates its rich heritage in the work of Saint Mary of the Cross MacKillop, co-founder of the Sisters of St Joseph in Australia in 1874, as well as the legacy of the work of the Sisters of St Joseph in our local area who worked hard to educate boys and girls marginalised from education and in response to the social inequity of the 19th Century.
Mount Carmel College continues to honour and nurture the Josephite charism by expressing this richness in the modern context.
Sisters of St Joseph, co-founded by first Parish Priest, Father Julian Tension Woods and Blessed Mary MacKillop, opened co-educational schools in Dale Street, Port Adelaide and Pennington (Alberton).
Marist Brothers open a boys’ school in Port Adelaide.
Carmelites took charge of the parish. Marist Brothers open a school in Semaphore/Largs, which becomes a separate parish in 1907.
Sisters of St Joseph establish Mount Carmel Primary School at the Pennington Terrace Pennington site (known as Alberton then).
Marist Brothers School moved from Commercial Road Port Adelaide to 33 Newcastle Street Alberton (now called Rosewater).
Mount Carmel Girls Secondary School was established on the site of Mount Carmel Primary School at Pennington, centralising the three girls’ secondary schools from the Port Adelaide, Alberton and Woodville areas.
An influx of migrants into the area in the 1950s resulted in only girls from the Port Adelaide/Pennington Parish being enrolled in the secondary classes.
Mount Carmel is a coastal mountain range in northern Israel. Our Lady of Mount Carmel is the title given to the Blessed Virgin Mary in her role as patroness of the Carmelite Order. The first Carmelites were Christian hermits living on Mount Carmel in the Holy Land during the late 12th and early to mid-13th century.
Five Carmelite priests, including Irish Carmelite priest Joseph Butler, arrived in Port Adelaide aboard the SS Liguria to begin the Australian Mission on 16 April 1881. They immediately moved to Gawler to work in the parish. The Carmelite priests moved from Gawler to the parish of Port Adelaide/Pennington in January 1902. The Carmelites withdrew from the Parish of Port Adelaide/Pennington on 10 January 1999.